Texas Academy of Science
Five Year Strategic Plan
Overarching Strategic Goal: Increase the visibility and effectiveness of the Texas Academy of Science in promoting strong science in Texas.
1. Broaden the annual meeting to increase visibility and effectiveness of TAS.
- Move to a multi-day annual meeting.
- Establish an Annual Meeting Planning Committee to increase effectiveness of the annual meeting.
2. Increase the value of TAS membership.
- Increase the membership and diversity of the academy.
- Increase educational focus of the academy.
3. Reorganize the structure of TAS to increase diversity and effectiveness of the academy.
- Reorganize the section structure of TAS and strengthen the role of sections in the academy.
- Strengthen existing standing committees and add new standing committees.
- Reorganize the membership of the TAS Board of Directors.
- Increase diversity within the leadership of TAS.
4. Increase visibility and effectiveness of TAS through its publications.
- Increase national impact of the Texas Journal of Science.
- Explore the possibility of additional publications that reflect other activities of the academy.
5. Increase professional and public engagement with TAS.
- Increase the frequency and quality of communication with the membership of TAS and with the public.
- Sponsor activities and materials that promote professional development of Texas scientists and public engagement with science.
- Create linkages between TAS and other state science organizations.
6. Increase sources of revenue and control expenses of the academy to ensure long-term sustainability of TAS.
- Create policies to ensure financial integrity of TAS.
- Increase efforts toward fund raising.
- Separate the funding of the annual meeting and other expenses of the academy.
Approved by the Board of Directors at the March 1, 2012 meeting in Alpine.
Click here to access specific recommendations from the Stratetic Planning Workshop Groups.